The Lunch Time Walk - North Devon Walking Route
Time: 40 minutes
Distance: 1.5 miles
Ideal short walk, year round, with great views of Bideford Bay. At wetter times, the path can become muddy in places, but stout walking shoes not required. Being on the Atlantic coast, a waterproof jacket is always advisable (and particularly welcome when the wind blows hard!).
- Begin your walk at the entrance to the Pig on the Hill driveway.
- Turn left up the country lane and follow upwards.
- At the junction cross the road and enter footpath through the wooden gate opposite.
- Follow the path down the hill (ignoring the crossroad where the path leads into housing estate), through the trees.
- When you come to the next path crossroad turn left onto the path that runs along Kipling Tor (un-signposted).
The Tor is named after Jungle Book author, Rudyard Kipling, whose schooldays here in the 1870s inspired his novel Stalky and co.
- Follow the path along the top of Kipling Tor to its end.
- Turn left onto the path that runs uphill. At its end is the Lookout, with the best views to be found of Bideford Bay.
From the Lookout you can see the white Saunton Sands Hotel to the right. The beach below it has starred on album covers (Pink Floyd) and in music videos (Robbie Williams). During WW2, over 10,000 American GIs trained for the D-Day invasion on Braunton Burrows (the dunes behind), which is now a designated UNESCO biosphere.
Having taken in the scenery and enjoyed the sea breeze (or bracing wind!), retrace your footsteps down the hill and turn right on the top Tor path.
(Alternatively, you could extend your walk by following the path down to link up with the South West coast path, turning left towards Abbotsham Cliff beach - 20 minutes – or right to access the beach from the water’s edge (by the caravan park) to explore the rock pools.
- Retrace your footsteps along the top Tor path.
- Turn right at the path crossroads and continue up the hill, all the way, until you return to the gate.
- Cross the road and follow the lane downwards.
- Arrive at The Pig on the Hill for well needed refreshment!